01 June 2017

Random: Studying Vocabulary Sentences


The best way I learn is by writing... so when I was studying vocab for the GRE, I made some very interesting sentences that I thought I'd share with you.  This was a journal entry I wrote when I was working with my Spanish "tutor" (which has a different meaning than in English... it's more like a mentor/advisor) who somehow succeeded in making me study šŸ˜… (bet you can guess how...).

-----


July 24, 2012 (age 26)


1. Metaphor – figure of speech comparing two different things
I can’t help it if I like metaphors, and you really do spank like a little girl!


2. Livid – discolored from a bruise; pale; reddened with anger
He was livid when I told him that I’d stayed out all night instead of studying.


3. Liberal – tolerant or broad-minded; generous or lavish
My tutor considers himself liberal, but I’ve found him to be quite intolerant of disrespect and disobedience.


4. Lethargic – acting in an indifferent or slow, sluggish manner
It’s not that I’m lethargic, school is just super boring!


5. Leery – suspicious
My good behavior had everyone leery of my ulterior motive.


6. Larceny – theft of property
After being arrested for larceny, I was sent home to my angry older brother who proceeded to roast my bottom!


7. Lament – to express sorrow; to grieve
I lamented over my sore bottom for weeks.


8. Kindle – to set fire to or ignite; to excite or inspire
The scolding kindled my anger and I couldn’t keep my mouth shut anymore.


9. Keen – having a sharp edge; intellectually sharp; perceptive
He applauded me for the keen idea, but it didn’t get me out of the spanking I’d earned.


10. Zephyr – a gentle breeze; something airy or unsubstantial
The zephyr on my bare bottom made me shiver as I awaited the first swat.


11. Variegated – varied; marked with different colors
After the spanking my bottom was not variegated, only one deep shade of red.


12. Inexorable – inflexible; unyielding
Sometimes when I really misbehave, my tutor has no choice but to be inexorable with my punishment.


13. Antagonize – to annoy or provoke to anger
When I’m feeling surly, I enjoy antagonizing my siblings.


14. Antipathy – extreme dislike
Most of all, I enjoy antagonizing those in which I feel great antipathy towards.


15. Luminous – bright; brilliant; glowing
After all the antagonizing, I usually find myself with a luminous red backside.


16. Sully – to tarnish; to taint
When my enemies saw how much I cried during a spanking, I realized that my tough-girl reputation had been sullied.


17. Cacophony – a harsh, jarring noise
When my sister and I were spanked together, we created a cacophony with our cries.


18. Glower – to glare or stare angrily and intensely
As I was awaiting my spanking, I glowered at the girl who’d tattled on me.


19. Gradation – a degree or stage in a process; a variation in color
When I inspected my bottom after the spanking, I noticed many different gradations of red.


20. Repast – meal or mealtime
The peaceful repast was interrupted by a cacophony of arguments by my little sisters.


21. Dilatory – intended to delay
Asking my tutor about his day was simply a dilatory tactic to delay admitting my faults.


22. Martinet – strict disciplinarian; one who rigidly follows rules
We all know that we’re in big trouble when we are sent to the principal; he’s a martinet and won’t let anyone off the hook.


23. Misanthrope – a person who dislikes others
She’s such a misanthrope… I don’t know what to do to convince her to stop hating me!


24. Glib – fluent in an insincere manner; offhand; casual
Oftentimes I can get myself out of trouble thanks to my glib speeches, but my tutor can see right through me.


25. August – dignified; grandiose
My tears and aching bottom didn’t distract me from noticing the august sunset.

No comments: