04 September 2005

Story: Molly - Chapter 12

Molly - Chapter 12
by Breanna Carter

After finding out that Molly was serious in her wishes to spank me, I didn't know what to say. She had a point, because no matter how old she was, I really would spank the daylights out of her for using such disrespect towards her mother. It's weird, though, thinking about how this adorable 12 year old thought she should spank me. What could I say?

"Okay," I said. "When we get home, you can spank me."

She blinked, trying not to look too shocked that I'd said that, but it wasn't working. "R-really?"

I nodded.

She nodded back. "And it's going to be a good one, too!" she said matter-of-factly.

I couldn't help but laugh a little. In less than twenty minutes, I pulled into the parking lot of my apartment complex. The cold air hit our faces as we headed towards the building. I inserted the keys, unlocking the door. I followed Molly inside. It was obvious that she was a bit nervous.

"Y-you want me to do it now?"

"Whenever you want, MollyCakes," I told her, taking my jacket off and throwing it over a dining room chair.

She thought for a moment. "I think I should spank you with your belt."

I nodded, taking my belt off and handing it to her. "Would you like me to take my pants down, too?" I asked, teasingly.

"Um, no thanks," she said, blushing furiously. It was pretty adorable seeing her blush like that. Her face was as red as her hair!

She took my upper arm and led me to the end of the couch, helping me over. The whole situation was actually quite amusing, but I didn't want Molly to know that's how I felt, so I kept my mouth shut.

"You shouldn't cuss at your mom, Brian," she scolded, though I have to admit, she wasn't very intimidating.

"I know, MollyCakes."

I heard her lift the belt and then swing, crashing it on my backside. For a twelve year old administering a spanking, I'll have to give her props! I actually felt it! She swung it again, then just started laughing.

"Hahaha... I can't do this, Brian," she said, then helped me up.

"Oh? You can't?" I asked, raising my eyebrows. "Why not?"

"Because I know that you knew it was wrong to do that and I don't think you really meant to anyway. But believe me, if you do it again, I'll go a lot harder on you!!!"

I smiled and hugged her, ruffling her hair. "You're the sweetest kiddo ever," I said.

"I know it."

I glanced at the clock, seeing that it was nearing eight. "What do you want for dinner?" I asked.

She shrugged. "Anything good."

She flipped on the tv, plopping down in front of it.

"What about pizza?" I asked as I shuffled through the freezer.

"No, not pizza. I said something *good*, Brian."

"You sure are mouthy this evening!" I said, searching through the cabinets. "Spaghetti O's?"

"How 'bout something non-Italian? We just had Olive Garden for lunch!"

"Well, that was your choice, and I'm not cooking anything spectacular."

"Why not?"

"Because I'm lazy. If you want something good, come cook it yourself!"

"Fine," she said, getting up. "Didn't wanna watch tv anyway."

She dug in the freezer for a second, ignoring the fact that I was watching her. To be honest, I was just kidding when I told her to cook for herself.

She took out a package of chicken and sat it in the sink.

"What are you doing?"

"Cooking something spectacular," she said, shooting me a glare.

"Molly, it's nearly eight... you don't want anything spectacular this late, do you?"

"Yes, I do," she assured me, then shooed me away. "Now, go watch tv and let me handle the cooking. I'll call you in here when I'm ready."

I blinked. "You don't really wanna cook, do you?" I asked.

"YES... now, go away!"

I rolled my eyes. "Fine fine, I'm gone.." I said. "It'll be ready when I get out of the shower?"

"Maybe," she answered, pushing me away.

I took the hint and grabbed some pjs on my way towards the shower. Yeah, it was Friday night and it was only eight, but I wasn't planning on doing anything anyway. I decided to take my time in the shower so I wouldn't walk in during the middle of Molly's recipe and ruin it all. At least she made it seem like by going in there during the middle of it I'd ruin everything.

After about fifteen minutes in the shower, I couldn't say in there any longer, no matter if her food was ready or not. I dried myself off, put on my pjs and opened the door.

"Damn it's hot in there," I told Molly as I entered the living room.

"Almost ready!" she said.

I shrugged, pretending like I was uninterested, even though it was a lie. I was *very* interested in what she was cooking. I wasn't going to let her know that, though.

I halfway watched tv until she started putting stuff on the dining room table. At that time, none of my attention was on the television. She kept glaring at me when I looked towards her, so I just stared out of the corner of my eye.

"Okay, come on," she said.

I almost jumped with joy, but contained myself. Finally I could see what she was cooking!

"What's this?" I asked, sitting down at the table.

"That's *not* what you're supposed to say," she insisted. "You're supposed to say, 'Wow, Molly, this looks great!'"

I giggled. "Wow, Molly, this looks great!" I mocked. "But what is it?"

She sat down next to me, smiling. "It's a Molly original. Try it and see what you think."

I glanced at it. Chicken, corn, green beans, carrots... all stirred into one. Then she'd made some cornbread and mashed potatos. It actually looked really good, especially for a twelve year old!

She piled it up on her plate, taking half of the pan of Molly's special chicken surprise stuff, then half of the mashed potatos and about three pieces of cornbread.

"Hungry?" I asked, taking a small portion for myself.

"No, I'm just braver than you," she said, winking at me.

"I wouldn't call it bravery," I said, taking a bite of the food. "Hey, this is really good!" I said.

"Told you," she answered, mouth full of food.

"Don't talk with your mouth food," I told her, my mouth full.

She giggled, digging in.

Within thirty minutes, we were both stuffed, but she wasn't finished yet. About halfway through our meal she'd put in a chocolate cake, and it was finally ready. The crazy part is that she somehow managed to find *green* icing. Yes, it had already been green...

"Let's call this a celebration meal," she said, cutting the cake.

"Celebration? For what?" I asked.

"Hm.." she thought for a second. "For you and your mom talking again, even if you did go crazy on her, and a good luck meal on your finals next week, so you can hurry up and graduate, and for letting me stay with you for all this time... I promise I'll make it up to you."

I'd stopped eating for a second. "Molly... You know I love having you here... why would you make it up to me?"

"Cause you're giving up so much for me."

"I am?"

"Yes... you could have a girlfriend and you could be going out tonight and partying it up with the guys.. but instead you're here with me."

I blinked. "Molly... I'd rather be here with you, trust me."

"Anyway, and we'll have the cake to Ireland Pride! We gotta take a trip to Ireland one day!"

"Of course we will... when you're sixteen, okay?"

"Sixteen!" she shrieked. "But that's like... far away!"

"By then I'll have the money to take you.."

She smiled. "Fair enough," then put a piece of cake on my plate. "Oh, and this is for Shawn Mullins! Everything's gonna be all right!"

I grinned, staring at my chocolate cake with green icing. Only Molly would think of putting that on a cake...

"Where'd we get this green icing anyway?" I asked her as she put a huge piece on her plate.

She giggled a little. "You don't remember buying it?"

I shook my head, then realized something was up. "Heyy! Where'd you get it?" I was beginning to think that she'd stolen it or something...

"Calm down, Brian!" she said. "I threw it in the buggy once while we were at Walmart. I can't believe you didn't see me..."

I glared at her, but ate the cake anyway.

"Admit that it's good and you're glad I threw it in there!"

I smiled. "Okay, I admit it, but don't do it again!"

She didn't promise anything, just ate her cake and finally took our dishes into the kitchen and began washing. "Hey, hey... go watch tv... I'll do that."

She didn't stop.

"Well at least let me help you," I said, shoving her aside and rinsing off the dishes after she washed em, then drying them off and putting them up. "Thanks for dinner," I said afterwards when we sat on the couch with full stomachs.

"No problem. I owe it to ya."

"Stop talking like that. You don't owe me anything."

"I'm ready for the sleepover tomorrow night!" she said.

"That makes two of us," I teased.

"I'm ready for Christmas, too! After next week are you going to start working more so you can make more money and buy me loads of presents?"

"I dunno about that... Do you really think you've been a good girl this year?"

"Of *course*! I'm always a good girl."

I laughed. "Yeah right!"

She stuck her tongue out at me and we watched tv til she fell asleep right there on the couch, snuggled up next to Bonkers, her cat. It was really an adorable sight... her head on my lap, arm thrown over the cat. I flipped the tv off then carried her to bed, kissing her forehead and tucking her in, then placing the cat next to her. It was her only comfort, the only piece of her father that she had left.

I went back to the living room and lay there for a little while, thinking, like I always did. I wondered why bad things had to happen to kids like Molly... or any kids. Why'd parents leave them? Why'd they have to have it so hard? Molly had the best intentions in her heart. She wanted to make sure everyone else was happy, and she loved everything with all of her heart. There's not a doubt in my mind that she still loved her mother even after what happened with her. But the unhappiness was still there... like it was impossible for her to really be happy. Like she was just putting on a show for everyone.

I rolled over, staring at the blank tv. Would it really make any difference if I did the guardianship thing? I mean, it'd make a difference in a legal sense, but would it with Molly? I'd never be able to replace her dad, but would she at least feel like someone was finally giving her back the love that she offered?

My head started to hurt from all this thinking and I finally dozed off after a while. The worrying that I'd been doing about Molly was getting old, especially when I started dreaming about it. It was something I couldn't help, though. When you care that much about someone and you've taken as many psychology and philosophy classes as me, you tend to think about stuff too much.

"Brian!" I heard.

"Hmm?"

"Wake up! It's getting late and you've gotta go to work soon."

I opened my eyes to see Molly standing in front of me in her pjs. I glanced at the clock. "Molly, it's only ten," I said.

"So? You gotta wake up anyway!"

"Why's that?"

"Cause I'm bored?"

"Entertain yourself," I said.

She poked out her lower lip in a pout.

"Well, how can I help you not be bored?"

"Take me to the mall?"

"What's at the mall?"

"Stores."

"Yeah, I know... but what do you need from the mall?"

"Some new shoes," she said, holding up her green Converse shoes. "These are getting kinda old."

"And with what money do you think we're going to buy these?"

"I don't knowwwww... but let's go somewhere. Maybe we can see a movie?"

I sat up. "Okay, we'll go see a movie," I said. A movie was definitely cheaper than a new pair of shoes. "Go get on the 'net and decide what movie you wanna see and what time it starts and then get ready and we'll head out."

"YAY!" she exclaimed, latching onto me in a hug and scurrying off.

I knew Molly well enough to know that she'd want to see one of those stupid scary movies, but unfortuantely, they were all rated R so we had to settle with a PG13 movie that was a comdey. I think she still enjoyed it, even if it was a little stupid. Since the movie theater was in the mall, I decided we could go looking around anyway, even if I didn't have the sixty dollars to spend on a new pair of shoes.

"I don't want any new ones anyway," she explained, "I just wanted to get out of the house."

After a little while at the mall, we went to the skating rink. It wasn't too busy, just a couple of parties for some little kids. The first thing Molly did when we got there was bug Brad, the DJ, to play some Irish music. I knew that it wouldn't take long for him to be swayed by her pleading blue eyes. I, on the other hand, went to my office to check on the money and stuff, just to hang out away from some kids for a little while. I didn't say long, but when I came out, Flogging Molly was blaring over the loudspeaker. I grinned.

"Hey, Molly... let's go get your stuff from the house and I'll drop you off at Ciara's."

"She was going to meet me here," Molly said, not wanting to get away from a group of her friends.

"And your stuff?"

"We'll get it later. Please?"

I sighed. Softie kicking in again! "Okay, that's fine," I said.

She smiled and went back to hanging out with her friends. I sat up with Brad in the DJ booth for a little while, nothing exciting happening. That wasn't such a bad thing, though... no excitement was great! That meant that nobody was causing trouble.

Ciara and the rest of the sleepover bunch came in after a while. At that time, all of the twelve year olds were hanging out in a group. Kinda funny how it works... because all of Molly's friends were sooo different. But it was good that they could all hang out in a group and get along okay.

About nineish, one of Molly's gang came over to the DJ booth, staring up at us with pleading eyes. "Can you pleaseeeee play KoRn?"

"Play with corn?" Brad teased, acting in all seriousness. "We don't have any corn up here in the booth or we'd probably play with it. I don't like corn so much, do you, Brian?"

"It's okay, so I wouldn't play with it... I'd eat it," I replied.

The girl giggled. "I mean the band!"

"The band?" Brad asked.

"Yeah, there's a band called KoRn!"

"Who would name their band after a vegetable?" he asked, looking at me.

I shrugged.

Brad just laughed. "What KoRn song do you wanna hear, babe?" he asked.

Before she had the chance to answer we heard a big gush of laughter from over at the payphone and noticed the group of twelve year olds over there. They noticed we were looking and Molly just waved and kept giggling.

"What do you think they're up to?" Brad asked me after assuring the girl that he'd put on a good song by the mysterious KoRn band.

"No idea. Probably making prank phone calls."

It wasn't a minute later that we heard sirens outside and glanced at each other wondering what had happened. The nosey person I am, I hopped down from the DJ booth noting that the sirens were getting closer. I wanted to catch them before they passed us to see if I could tell what was going on, but I didn't have to worry. Know why? Because they were coming straight towards us.

Not a second after I made it outside did a firetruck pull into the parking lot.

I blinked. "Can I help you?" I asked, a little confused.

"We just received a 911 call from this location.." the fireman said.

"You did?"

He nodded.

For a second there, I was so angry I thought I wasn't going to be able to contain myself. "I apologize, sir... it must have been one of the kids making a prank call. I assure you that I'll take care of it..."

He seemed to understand and called off the emergency.

Ohh man, I was LIVID... I rushed back into the skating rink and up in the DJ booth then called out the name of every twelve year old I knew that was at the skating rink that night and hanging out in Molly's group. They could tell that I was upset. I finished off with telling them to all meet me by my office. It didn't take that long before they were all standing in a group beside my door. I unlocked it and told them all to follow me.

"Okay, someone tell me why I've called you all in here."

Everyone looked at everyone else, not speaking.

"Today," I urged on, narrowing my eyes at them.

They still didn't answer, so I decided to initiate it. "In case you're not aware, a firetruck just pulled into the parking lot claiming that someone at this address called 911.."

"Oh wow... why'd you call 911?" one of the girls asked.

"*I* didn't call them... one of you did, and I expect someone to tell me before I look at the cameras and find out for myself."

They looked at each other again before a boy raised his hand. "I did it," he said.

"Cole," one of the girls said, I guess not wanting him to fess up.

"Are you sure?" I asked him.

He looked back at his friends and nodded.

"Very well, the rest of you are dismissed."

The crowd dispersed and Cole stood there in front of me.

"What possessed you to do that?" I asked him.

He shrugged. "Just wanted to see what would happen."

"And do you realize that's a federal offense?"

"A federal offense?"

"Yeah, you could get thrown in jail for that."

He hung his head. "No, I didn't know."

"Well, no one's going to jail tonight, but I expect we'll have to call your parents.."

He winced. "Do you have to?"

I nodded. "And I don't want to see you back here this weekend, okay?"

His head was still hung, but he nodded at my statement.

"It could be a lot worse, believe me. I'm going easy on you."

"I know," he said.

I picked up the phone asking him to recite his number. The poor boy looked like he felt so bad for just playing an innocent joke, but I had to make him an example to the others or they'd think it was okay for them to do the same. I made small talk with the boy's mother who assured me that she'd pick him up as soon as possible and that nothing like this would happen again. We sat in my office until Brad called over the walkie talkie that someone was here for me. Cole followed me out of my office and I released him to his mother who could not have been more apologetic.

"Don't worry about it, ma'am. I've never had any problems out of him before, but I wanted to make sure that the others knew they couldn't get away with something like this."

"I understand. But it won't happen again, will it, Cole?"

"No, ma'am," he said, staring at his toes.

She walked her son out and I went back up to the DJ booth. "He did it?" Brad asked.

"Yeah."

"I don't believe it."

"Why not?"

"Cause he *never* gets in trouble. He comes in here and plays with the hockey team... he's always been a good kid."

I shrugged. "Well, he admitted to it..."

Ciara's mom came to pick up the sleepover kids about thirty minutes before we closed. I told her that Molly didn't have her stuff, but she said that it'd be fine if she borrowed Ciara's pjs to sleep in.. it's not like they'd sleep much anyway. She was a nice woman. Molly waved goodbye to me as she left. Something about her looked different, but maybe she was just sad because of that Cole kid getting kicked out. As far as I knew, he was crazy about her and she liked him, too. Hopefully that's all it was...

No comments: