05 July 2003

Story: Running Away

Misc story.  Krys ran away from home and her friend is worried about her.  He assesses the situation and decides that it's necessary for her to return, but when she resists, he takes stricter measures.

Running Away
by Breanna Carter

“When was the last time you ate?” Wesley said as the two of us sat in the back of our work, discussing the previous weekend.

I had finally gotten the weekend off.. and damned if my mom didn’t let me go to the concert! I was so pissed I ran away from home. But that didn’t stop me from going to work that night and asking for the week off, and talking to my friend, Wes, a 22 year old cutie that seemed like an older brother to me at sometimes, though I definitely wished for more.

I just shrugged at the question.

“You need to go home,” he finally said.

“I’m not going home,” I said in a determined voice. “I’ve been gone for the weekend and I’ll always be gone. I’m 16 and I won’t let my mom treat me like this!”

“You’re only 16, she is still your mother and you need to respect her wishes. Stop being immature about it, Krystalyn. Just go home.”

“I’m not going,” I said, folding my arms.

“You haven’t eaten, haven’t slept much... You’re hurting yourself more than helping. I’m sure your mom is worried sick. It’ll be easy, just go back and apologize for being so stupid.”

“You make it seem so easy,” I said, letting my arms drop. I was so worn out. I had slept two nights in a dark corner of 59th place, the hangout for kids my age where concerts were held all the time. I wanted to go home and sleep in my own bed and stuff, but I wasn’t about to tell Wes that. “I can’t just go back home...”

“It’ll be easier than what you’re doing now.”

I wasn’t convinced. I just sat there, unmoving.

“Well, Krys... you have to go back home. Running away is illegal anyway, and it’s dumb. I’m not going to sit here and watch you starve yourself or get yourself hurt. So, you’re going home.”

“No, I’m not.”

“Yes, you are.”

“No, I’m not.”

“Yes, you are.”

“No, I’m--”

“Krystalyn, you are going home if I have to drag you into my car and take you there myself. Now, we can be civilized and I’ll give you a ride, or I can drag you kicking and screaming.”

I folded my arms again, not speaking.

Wes stood up. “Come on,” he said, walking towards his car then looking back at me. I had not moved an inch. “Krys... come on,” he urged again, only to get no reply from me.

“I’m not going.”

He didn’t argue, just came by me and grabbed my arm, trying to pick me up. I kept my weight to the ground. I had learned how to deal with people like this from a self defense class. Well, not necessarily people like this, but people who tried to get me to do something I didn’t want to do.

He finally got me standing up, but that wasn’t going to help me get to his car. I grabbed the nearest thing attached to the building and held on for dear life as he tugged on me, then tried prying my fingers off.

“Krystalyn, let go!” he yelled.

“No!” I yelled back, being hardheaded. Finally he let go and I held onto the object, still for dear life. He didn’t do anything for a moment, just glared at me.

“Krystalyn, get in the car.”

“No.”

“I’m telling you for the last time, get in the car, or I’ll give you something you won’t forget..”

I just shook my head.

SMACK!!!!

A sharp spank landed right on my bottom, causing me to jump and scream, OW!!!!

I had taken my hands away for a split second and that’s when he grabbed me, kicking and screaming, to the place where we were sitting and hauled me over his lap.

“STOP IT!” I screamed.

SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK!!!

“I’m just giving you what you deserve, Krystalyn. If you would have gotten in the car like I said, I wouldn’t be doing this.”

SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK!!!
SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK!!!
SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK!!!
SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK!!!

“Owwww, owwwwww!” I wailed. “Let me GO!”

SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK!!!
SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK!!!
SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK!!!
SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK!!!

“Wesleyyyyy, sto-oppp. I’ll get in the car, I willlll,” I cried, sounding like a two year old.

He didn’t lay off. “I’m sorry, Krys, but I have to do this. You know that you shouldn’t run away, and I care about you too much to see you destroy yourself like that.”

SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK!!!
SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK!!!
SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK!!!
SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK!!!
SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK!!!

“Owwwwwwwwww, arghhhh, it hurtsssss,” I whined.

SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK!!!
SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK!!!

I stopped kicking. “I’m sorrrryyyyy,” I whined, tears finally streaming down my face.

SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK!!!

“Are you really sorry?”

SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK!!!

“Yessssss,” I said, now bawling like a baby.

SMACK!!! SMACK!!! SMACK!!! SMACK!!! SMACK!!!

He lifted me up from over his lap and gave me a big hug. “I”m sorry I had to do that, Krystalyn,” he said in his soothing voice. “But it’s all over now, okay? I care about you too much to see you hurting yourself.” I hugged him back while rubbing my bottom with my left hand.

“I’m sorry, Wes,” I said, sniffling.

“Are you ready to go home now?”

I nodded, really not ready, but not about to fight with him again.

“All right, let’s go,” he said, getting up and hugging me closer, then opening the passenger door for me and letting me in. I buckled up and then wiped my eyes. What a weird night.

No comments: